QIC: Squatter (covering for Dipstick who is caring for a sick child)
Pax: Spam, Scrambled Eggs, CDC, Swan, Speedwalker, Sega (2.0), Squatter (Q)
Conditions: A cozy 72 degrees in KK, …Hey! I didn’t notice the 70s music this morning! It was either turned down or off. Either way it was much easier to hear one anythis morning.
My story – Fighting temptation
My wife’s story – fighting anxiety
Memorized scriptures are our weapons against the enemy. We are not always able to look up verses but if they are in our minds, we can carry them anywhere.
We use God’s word to fight temptation, anxiety, doubt, depression, confusion, etc.
My 911 verse for temptation – Psalm 119:9-11 hiding word in our heart
Memorization leads to meditation and meditation leads to change in mind which changes our character.
“Whatever a man soweth that shall he also reap.” You sow an act, you reap a habit (acts repeated constitute habits); you sow a habit, you reap a character; you sow a character, you reap a destiny.” Unknown
Myths: I can’t memorize. I’m too old. I don’t have time.
11 Tips for memorizing scripture. (10 of which I stole off the internet)
1. Start with passages you’re already familiar with.
2. Write the verse on one side of an index card and the verse reference on the other. Carry the card around with you so you can work on memorizing it during wait times.
3. Record yourself reading the verses. Listen and follow along while you’re driving, working out, or cleaning.
4. Write the first letter of each word in the verse. When you need a hint, look at the letters instead of the full verse.
5. Use the stacking method. Stack small drawings or pictures that represent different keywords in the verse. This can help you visualize the verse, even when you aren’t looking at the pictures.
6. If you learn best when you do something with your hands, shuffle a deck of cards while you quote. The repetitive motion will help you concentrate.
7. Tape your verse to the bathroom mirror and work on it as you shave or fix your hair in the morning.
8. Write the verse by hand. Rewrite the verse over and over, or use hand-lettering and other creative illustrations. Utilizing fine motor skills engages your brain. The more of your brain you can employ while memorizing, the better the information will stick.
9. Memorize for five minutes, and then take a break. This allows your brain to relax after the mental exercise.
10. Set your computer and phone background images to verses. You’ll be surprised by how quickly you have it memorized!
11. Scripture memorization apps!
Challenge 1: Memorize 1 Timothy 4:7-8 by next Friday.
1 Timothy 4:7-8
7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
Challenge 2: Memorize a chapter or passage of scripture at least 10 verses long
Challenge 3: Memorize a book of the Bible
Safety for P200 guys who start at 9:00 AM…even though they bailed on 3F
Speed walker-grace and guidance for his family as work, commuting, parental and spouse duties, are stressful on time of contemplating a move to Columbia and career change for the M.
Dipstick- sick baby
Thanks for letting me lead this morning and share some of my struggles and how God’s word has helped me fight temptation. You men have challenged me physically and spiritually. ISI!